Thursday 2 July 2015

Its a dog's thing | Doggy Behaviour

Lottie here - Ok, ok. I know I haven't posted a blog post for agessss. Butttt both me and mum have been really busy really. Mum is graduating from University this summer so she has had lots of deadlines for her degree.

Anyway mum assures me that the hectic period is now over so busy can resume as normal (well as normal as possible in our house).

Over the last 24 hours we have been experiencing a heatwave here in the UK. So its really important to keep us doggies nice and cool. Mum has been pulling out all the stops to make sure I do just that. Anyway its time for me to go and seek out a few more birds so I will hand you over to mum, who has much more time on her hands than me.

Jessica here - I know 'Lottie has already apologised on our behalf for our lack of posts but I feel I should too. If you lives are anything like mine you can be half way through the year before you even know it. Just where has this year gone?

Anyway that isn't what I came here to write, so I had better get on with it.

With today being the hottest day ever recorded for July in the UK. I woke up this morning and thought I had better make Lottie some iced treats to help keep her cool.

I made her up several kongs using a wet dog food and some doggie ice cubes. For these I mashed a whole bananna and mixed it with some plain natural yougurt and just for good measure I popped a liver treat on the top (they always go down really well in this house).



During the midday sun I decided to see if they had frozen. Bingo! We had frozen iced cubes.

Now I'm not going to lie, they didn't look the most appealing treats I have ever given Lottie. Although a lot of doggie treats definitely DONT look good enough to eat.

Even though they had frozen I knew that once little madam had her paws on them, thing would turn messy. So, I decided to pop them into her normal food bowl to contain it.

Lottie has a Hing Bowl and she loves it. It's great at helping stop mess and I never accidentally run over it and end up with a swimming pool on the kitchen floor. I got it her when she was around 6 months old so its all she's ever know (just bare that in mind).

The 'Hing Bowl' 


On leaving the kitchen I had the little waggy tail hitting my wheelchair in excitement. Off we went into the garden so Lottie could enjoy her treat.

I placed the bowl (minus the holder ) on the floor and instructed Lottie with the normal wait command (so i could get the camera ready). Ok, I said. What happened next I definitely did not expect.

She went up to the bowl and immediately backed off. It soon became quite clear she wasn't going to eat them. Oh no! I thought. She doesn't like them. Then I thought, surely her taste buds can't change in less than 12 months, she loved them last year.

Then I had a light bulb moment!

She wont eat out of the bowl without the holder.

Off I wheeled back into the kitchen to fetch her holder. We repeated the whole process again and BINGO she went straight up to the bowl and took one of the ice cubes out and eat it on the grass (I don't know why she does that, but she always has).

Afterwards it really made me think. Dogs really are more intelligent than we give them credit for. Lottie in her canine brain knew that something wasn't quiet right with the bowl and made the decision not to eat out of it. Something my human brain had never even thought of!

You can check out the whole 'thing' below in the video.


Does your dog have any funny traits/behaviour? We would love to hear them?

Don't forget to follow us on -
                                               Facebook 
                                               Twitter 
                                               Instagram

Until next time friends.

Woofs and kisses
Jessica and Lottie


SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Such a pretty bowl. We always get frozen treats out in the yard no holder and we can make as much of a mess as we like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look super yummy! Brown dawgs say they simply cannot understand ever turning down food that is offered...lol. Welcome back and thanks for joining the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are much smarter than Mom thinks we are sometimes. She usually figures it out eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Y'all!

    BOL! Humans! They just aren't as smart as they think they are! Right, Lottie?

    Y'all come on by,
    Hawk aka BrownDog

    P.S. Don't forget we've moved to http://www.browndogcbr.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't dogs funny? And you're right - those are some bizarre looking treats. But yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea using a cup to hold the Kongs up. I've never thought about that. Duhhh. I'll be making a ton of frozen treats tonight for our hot weekend. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree with Kimberly- great idea- I use plastic wrap but hate when they tip. Kilo thought those treats looked fabulous. He would have eaten them wherever you put them within reach LOL (greedy pug). X Susie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that recipe. Sampson will not eat a fresh banana (Delilah LOVES them) but he will eat them if they are frozen, or mashed up like this. I think it's a great idea.

    Thank you for joining the blog hop!!

    ReplyDelete

© Waggy Tales. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig