Tuesday 18 April 2017

Walkies with a wheelchair

Well it looks like summer is finally on it's way! Any dog owner's favourite time of year.

For those of who that don't know we live in quite a rural area, and their are lots of doggie friendly countryside walks - however very few are wheelchair accessible. 

I suppose this is something that many of you may not even think about. When you put your walking boots, pick up the lead and open the door, you don't even consider if the place is accessible. 

Unfortunately for somebody who uses a wheelchair like me - this is one and mainly the only thought that crosses your mind when you open the door. 

My wheelchair just isn't made for rough grass or wild woodland. Which can really limit where we go. 

At the moment i'm the process of getting a new adapted car and new wheelchair and i'm hoping to get an attachment that will mean I will be able to go over grassland much easier - of course with all these things comes cost and when your an adult funding is very limited -  I don't have a spare £7000 for the cost of the new chair and attachment stashed under my mattress. Im on the hunt though and I will reach the amount - these things just take time.

In the mean time, we make the best of a not so good situation. There are a few doggie walks with nice countryside views that do have paths for my chair. Our favourite is a lovely little brook walk about 1 mile from our house. 

Our Happy Place

After my recent surgery my mum has been walking Lottie, and it's something I really miss. 
Today, however was the first time me and Lottie managed to get out together and we headed for our favourite spot - the brook! 



We had a fantastic time and Lottie loved running through the grass, whilst I wheeled along side her on the path. 

So Lottie can have a little more freedom, I use a Flexi Lead. I know these are very conversational in the dog world. But trust me they are a god send for wheelchair users, in my opinion it's the owners that make the lead sensible to use and I always have full control over Lottie. 




You might think this blog post is a long woe is me post, believe me if you knew in 'real' life you would know that isn't the case at all! I started Lottie's blog four years ago now (where does time go!) to raise awareness of my disability Osteogenesis Imperfecta, and to achieve this I want you to all understand fully exactly what having a disability is like! I hope I have opened your eyes a little...if not at least their are some cute photos at the bottom! (But please remember don't take granted what others wish for!). 

Of course this walk gave us the opportunity to take plenty of photo's and we thought we would share some of these with you below.












Until next time. 
Love Jessica and Lottie xxx 
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Looks like you had a lovely time! You're right, despite my poor health in other respects, I definitely take things for granted x

    www.archiesgreatadventures.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've never thought about wheelchair access on our walks but you're right our favourite walks most definitely aren't wheelchair friendly. It's great you two are back out together and I hope you get the new equipment your after!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terrain is a massive factor that can affect the type of chair that you need to get from place to place. motorized wheel chair

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wheelchairs as well as 3 or 4 wheel power scooters are very convenient for your short length trips. The area where are you going is a significant scooter choosing factor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am impressed with the latest wheelchair evacuation device that helps the wheelchair users to climb the stairs safely. Try it!

    ReplyDelete

© Waggy Tales. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig