Sunday 14 September 2014

The journey so far | Black and White Sunday

When I started this blog back in April. My main aim was to raise awareness of my disability - Osteogenesis Imperfecta, and how Lottie has changed my life. 

Since then things really have been a whirlwind experience. Blog hops were something I hadn't even heard of, never mind participated in! Other dog bloggers have been very welcoming to their pack, letting me join Facebook bloggers groups and even featuring me in an international post! More about that coming very soon. 

Not forgetting the reason I started this blog. I thought it would be a great idea to give you an update of what’s been happening over the last few months.
If you follow our Facebook page you will be well aware that I had a major operation back in May. Nearly 3 months on this is my progress.

The operation was much bigger than first anticipated. I spent about 2 weeks in hospital followed by several weeks of bed rest at home. I had plaster change after plaster change as many of them either rubbed my leg or were too uncomfortable. At first hospital appointments didn't shed much light on how successful the operation was.  The bones hadn't started to heal at all, something my surgeon was quite concerned about. I won’t pretend it was a smooth ride. I’m just not used to be at home, so I was driving my mum mad and vice versa.

My leg back in May. 


The blogging was keeping me going. I learnt so much along the way; I got involved in lots of blog hops, made connections, and increased our Facebook followers. We even made connections with companies that specialize  in dog products. We have had several products sent for us to review which is something Lottie was extremely excited about. Even when I was unable to do ‘normal’ things I still had my blog!

All this good sprite definitely helped me heal! During my next hospital appointment we had the news we had been waiting for, the bones had started to heal. Just a tiny little bit! But still, some is better than nothing.

I have had intense Physio to try and build my leg muscles back up. I lost a huge amount of strength after the surgery; it certainly doesn't take long for them to waste. Now thing are starting to definitely look up. My old ‘normal’ life is coming back, for now anyway. My mum always says until the next time. It’s enviable that I will have to go through this whole process again in about 12 months.

I went swimming today which might not seem like much, but to me it’s a big milestone. I didn't do any swimming, but just going into the water was good enough for me. I start back to University on the 22nd of this month; I’m doing it part time as this will be much more manageable. I have been successful in finding a work placement which lasts for 6 months. Something yet again I never thought would have ever been possible 2 months ago.

As for the blog, I seriously want to give it a face lift. I have a great blogging friend who is going to help me change the layout (Blogger and me are not a match made in heaven). She has also put me in touch with an artist that has kindly offered to create a cartoon graphic for our header. We have a photo-shoot coming up with a local photography; my mum definitely isn't David Bailey (she tries her best).

The name Waggy Tales just came out the blue. I spent many hours sat in front of my computer screen trying to think of a genius name but couldn't. Then Waggy Tales just sprung out of nowhere and it stuck! I’m no computer whiz and at that time had no idea about buying a domain name. I naively thought I didn't need one. 5 months later, I have spent my life on Google. After a lot of research, unfortunately our domain name is taken. I really wanted ww.waggytales.co.uk but it’s not available. This leads me at a cross roads – do I change our name so people can find us easier. Or do I stick with Waggy Tales and our BlogSpot web address. I still haven’t made the decision fully; it’s such a tough one. There will definitely be more info coming soon.

Just to finish the post - I went to zoo yesterday and brought Lottie this cute elephant as a present. She loves it, it makes the ideal cuddle buddy. 


Jessica and Lottie. 


We're participating in the Black And White Sunday Blog Hop hosted by Dachshund Nola and Sugar The Golden Retriever - thanks again, guys!


SHARE:

4 comments

  1. Happy to hear you are healing. The swimming sounded fantastic! Keep up the healing and being able to do things you weren't able to do a few months ago. Your a inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for healing! Glad to hear the update and that things are coming together (...no pun...ok...maaaybe pun...intended.) with your bones. As for your blog name...what about just playing with spelling? WaggieTales...or WaggyTails....or WaggieTails. Not the greatest suggestion ever...but perhaps....?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We know you as Wayy Tales and Waggy Tailes is a great name.
    By the way :-) it's a myth about going through metal detectors :-) Except for the Dunhelm Mills one's :-)
    Lots of love and Good luck and be a patient, patient :-) xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You are a courageous soul, my friend! Wishing you all the best and sending you lots of love and healing energy!! Life is tough for everyone, no doubt; we all have our crosses to bear. But some crosses seem tougher than others. Again, all my best to you! xoxo, Destiny & Asia (http://destinysdogblog.com)

    ReplyDelete

© Waggy Tales. All rights reserved.
Blogger Designs by pipdig